The Connection Manifesto

by Pace on August 26, 2009

The Connection Manifesto tells the story of why there is so much hurt and sadness in the world, and what we intend to do about it.

This manifesto is the heart and soul of the Connection Revolution. We poured ourselves into it. We wrote, tweaked, adjusted, agonized, and rephrased ’til we got it just right.

But really, it’s about you; how you can improve your life and the lives of others, how you can find and create connection, and most importantly, how you can change the world.

It’s 100% free to download, 100% free to share, and 100% free of affiliate links. This is not a money-making document, this is a world-changing document.

Our goal is to share this message with everyone in the world who would be touched by its message. One simple thing you can do right now to help is share this manifesto with anyone it will inspire. Forward it as an email attachment. Stumble it. Share the link to this page: http://PaceAndKyeli.com/manifesto/

Together, we can spread the word and change the world!

Download the Connection Manifesto (PDF)

Download the print-friendly version (PDF)

{ 55 comments… read them below or add one }

Leah/DefytheBox September 28, 2009 at 12:01 pm

You Guys rock! I love the manifesto!
Thanks for the preview…I love getting to see stuff before everyone else ;-)

I look forward to talking about it tomorrow night on Defy the Box radio.

Rock On!
Leah

Renee Christy September 28, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I saw a mention of this manifesto on Live Journal. Was very excited to read it and then forward to my thousands of freaky friends, but after multiple tries, I can’t get the PDF to open. Is posting an HTML version on site asking too much?

Thanks,
Renee Christy
Mistress of Merriment

Chris Guillebeau September 28, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Congratulations on the launch of this important, world-changing document. I’m hugely honored by the dedication.

Both of you have so much to give to the rest of us, and I’m glad to see you doing that through this manifesto. Good luck on getting to one million readers. Sometimes these things take time, so be sure to allow a week or two for the first half. :)

cg

Pace September 28, 2009 at 1:18 pm

@Renee,

Sorry you couldn’t get it to open! Here are 3 troubleshooting tips:

1. Try downloading it again. I once had a file be unreadable due to a dodgy download.

2. Try the latest version of Adobe Reader: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

3. If all else fails, you can view it on SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/pace212/the-freak-revolution-manifesto

If none of those three tips work, let me know and I’ll see what I can do!

Azekeil September 28, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Thanks. This ties together a number of ideas that I’ve had jumbling around in my brain for a while. I’m fairly open in my life and despairing at the way the world is going. I plan on blogging about this soon.

Just so you know – others are sending the same or similar message, in their own ways. Have a look at, in order of similarity:

scwizard September 28, 2009 at 4:01 pm

You know I strongly disagree about the growing foods in harmony with nature bit.

Food is an instance, where maxing yield is very important, and nature be damned.

scwizard September 28, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Also very nice manifesto, better than I expected.

Lame September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Boo. What “freak” would make their whole argument using the word “paradigm”.
You’re still in a box.

Pace September 30, 2009 at 12:15 am

@Lame: Before the word “paradigm” became a buzzword, it was used by Thomas Kuhn in The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. We’re using it in a more Kuhnian sense than a buzzwordian sense. (: It does suck that such a potent word has been robbed of its power, but I prefer to reclaim it rather than abandon it.

Oliver Danni September 30, 2009 at 6:32 am

Isn’t it fabulous when you freak out the other freaks with your freakiness? :D

I too would prefer an HTML version. I greatly dislike PDFs, so I have not downloaded it yet (whereas if it were in HTML I would just click it and start reading right away!) If there’s any chance of an HTML version happening soon please let me know. Either way I’ll be excited to read it.

quonsar October 2, 2009 at 1:43 pm

they had to use adobe pdf to fit in.

Torley October 2, 2009 at 2:04 pm

So it begins, my fellow freaks. I arrived here from MetaFilter. Pace & Kyeli, am reading the booklet on my other monitor. Design is nice, your positivity is admirable. I’ll learn more over the course of the next block of time.

Why settle for mediocrity when you can be awesome?

Acrylicist October 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm

You need to conserve some of that bandwidth and NOT use PDF–you’re freaks remember? Here’s a Djvu version of the manifesto, a 1MB download instead of 6MB.

Pace October 2, 2009 at 6:25 pm

@Torley: Thank you!

@Acrylicist: Thanks! The only difference I noticed in the lossy compression is that the nice gradients became all blocky. Still, I wonder why that takes 5 MB.

Pace October 3, 2009 at 8:25 am

@Acrylicist (& @quonsar, I guess): I hosted the DJVU version on our server and made it another option for folks to download. Thank you!

Blade October 8, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Found this on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/08/social.networks.connected/index.html

Seems to suppor tthe Connection Paradigm.

Pace October 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm

@Blade: Hmm, both we and the CNN article are talking about connection, but I don’t think the article is actually supporting a connection paradigm at all. The CNN article talks about friends and acquaintances in social networks. We (the Freak Revolution) are talking about heart-based connection and empathy with others. There is some overlap, for instance the concept of the monkeysphere, but the CNN article is still coming from a control-based perspective. It talks about how we can control obesity and control epidemics by taking advantage of social networks, and that’s control paradigm, not connection paradigm.

Dominic November 3, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Came across this place via a link to The Usual Error. It’s awesome to see that I’m not quite alone in my small-scale optimism.

Dominic November 3, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Hm, should’ve read first, then posted. I’m still glad to see that I’m not the only optimist of my kind, without a doubt. After reading the manifesto and browsing the site a little I’ve found that I don’t quite agree with everything I see around here. I’m not sure I’d be quite comfortable here, but I might just have another look after next week (terribly busy for school, but I promise you this is by choice ;). If I don’t show up, I wish you all the best as I definitely support your cause. Rest assured that I’ll do my part to make my bit of the world an awesome place, too.

Pace November 3, 2009 at 6:14 pm

@Dominic: We like it when people don’t agree with us. Follow your heart! (:

Kharmin December 23, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Thank you, Mark @ Heart of Business!!!

Pace and Kyeli ~ Have you considered submitting this (the Manifesto) to *Change This*?
This is from their quarterly email:

“ChangeThis is a vehicle, not a publisher.
We’re here to spread great ideas.
If you have any, let us know.

Bright Blessings!

Pace January 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

@Kharmin: Yes, I asked ChangeThis if they accept already-published manifestos (as opposed to manifestos specifically written for ChangeThis) and they have not gotten back to me yet…

Bright blessings to you too!

Jack February 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I guess I’m one of those eye-rollers. You talk about breaking free of stereotypes, and in the same document you stereotype everything. You take complex situations and boil them down into easily digested but not very true tidbits. It’s a good sales technique, and sure to get the blood of some people pumping, but not very genuine. I consider myself a bit of a freak and an outsider, and though I admire your spirit and enthusiasm, I found this document to be a bit self-important, very judgmental (odd, since it is in support of those who are often judged unfairly), and more like a self-empowerment seminar than a revolution. You get points for not asking for money.

Here’s what I am asserting: negativity is not always a bad thing. Life involves balance, and if you surround yourself with those who jump up and down incessantly, you aren’t living in reality: you’re George W. Bush. You surround yourself with people who only agree with you and support your ideas, of course you’ll be happy. But you won’t grow. Trees kept out of the wind have weak trunks. Children kept in germ-free environments don’t develop immunities. So have some eye-rollers in your group of friends, and learn to argue. Who knows? Maybe there’s good reason for the eye rolling.

As for the evils of TV and public schools, I was a teacher and I taught my students to think for themselves, to love reading and art, and to play chess. TV is just a conduit – be aware of what’s coming through and make smart choices. There are poor teachers and poor TV shows. Again – part of life is learning how to deal with adversity. Wrap yourself in padding and hide in a tree, or live bravely and learn.

I’m sure you will get a lot of needy people to give you a thumbs-up. This freak says “meh.”

Jack February 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Oh, and just so that I’m not overwhelmingly negative, I really like the design work! The character drawings are first rate. And the whole thing has a charm and whimsy to it that was initially appealing. I think that’s why I was more disappointed in the content. Sorry if it came off all jerky. Just my opinion, which is worth as much or as little as whatever weight you care to assign to it. :)

Pace March 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm

@Jack: *nods* I see what you’re saying. What you’re calling “not very genuine”, I call “writing boldly rather than precisely. It’s a tough tradeoff we purposefully chose when writing the manifesto, and this is the down side.

And I actually agree with you about balance. What we’re advocating in the manifesto is to diversify your monkeysphere as much as you can without being brought down by unhelpful naysayers. Naysayers are super if they’re constructive and help you learn and grow; the unhelpful naysayers we advocate letting go of are the ones who simply bring you down without any benefit. I realize we didn’t express this point very clearly in the manifesto, and I’m sorry about that.

Thanks for your comments, Jack. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Savanni D'Gerinel April 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I downloaded it, started reading it, and then at one point got angry and deleted it. Then I undeleted it because I deleted it for the wrong reasons, and I finished reading it. Then I went and modified my embryonic business plan to more clearly characterize who I want to be doing business for, because this document helped me finally pin it down.

I want to disagree with you on “work”… but then I remember something I read elsewhere:

“Learn at first concentration without effort; transform work into play; make every yoke you have accepted easy and every burden you carry light.”

So, I think I still disagree with you about work. Even when I am doing what I am most passionate about, sometimes it just turns into a slog and sometimes the heavy lifting on any project gets burdensome. But all of the bigger problems I have worked on just seem to require annoyingly burdensome work in order to get everything else to hang together.

sUze April 19, 2010 at 12:06 am

Jack said: “As for the evils of TV and public schools, I was a teacher and I taught my students to think for themselves, to love reading and art, and to play chess.”

Right. You taught them….

Question is: What did they learn?

I don’t doubt that you were a breath of fresh air for kids stuck in school. But. You were still part of School. One little, teeny, tiny part of their yearafteryearafterdrearyyear of institutionalization. That they didn’t ask for.

A friendly jailer is still a jailer.

Do you not see the joke of “teaching them to think for themselves” when “I think I want to leave now” is #1 on the list of contraband thoughts???

But a friendly jailer is better than a mean jailer. Because those kids were stuck there whether you were there or not. Better you than some I can think of.

Pace April 19, 2010 at 12:09 am

@Savanni: What exactly do you disagree with about work? It seems like you’re disagreeing with something that sounds like “If you’re doing what you’re passionate about, you’ll love every moment of it,” and I don’t remember myself or Kyeli writing that, so I’m a bit confused. I read through the manifesto to double-check and didn’t find the passage you’re replying to. So I remain confused. (:

And out of curiosity, who do you want to be doing business for?

Christy July 9, 2010 at 11:03 am

it’s true many people are in this state of apathy. And it is true that our culture teaches us that this or at least some form of this (it isn’t after all supposed to be depressing like they frame it but supposed to be satisfying) is ‘normal.’ It could be happiness in some cases but with how messed up culture can be (racism, sexism, the economy, etc.) and how slanted our current culture is against the middle and lower classes (particularly to keep them down), it tends to lead to a negative, unhappy outcome for the majority of people in the middle & lower classes. And they say money doesn’t mean happiness but with money you truly have more freedom. Freedom for opportunities, to travel, to do things you never could have done without money. As someone in this position ages and realizes their dreams will not be achieved, they turn into this drone-like person who is frustrated and unhappy (but supposed to be happy living the ‘American Dream’ that has been fed to us). So these people turn to coping mechanisms they are able to obtain like entertainment, substances and drugs and usually use these things to the max. It’s truly dysfunctional.

Alena_Ryu August 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Um…hi… *nervous* Just read the manifesto. Not sure what to think. Overall you’re goal is admirable, and I’m certain you can accomplish it.

But some of the things in it……I dunno….I can’t seem to agree with them….

Pace August 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm

@Alena_Ryu: Well, one of the main themes of the manifesto is that there is no one right way, so it’s perfectly fine with us if you don’t agree with everything in it. More power to you! (:

Alena_Ryu August 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm

*smiles* Thanks. ^^ Already feeling better about this group. Erm….do you mind if this turns into a conversation of sorts? I don’t wanna flood your comment board if you don’t want me to.

Pace August 14, 2010 at 7:49 am

Go for it! It’s very considerate of you to ask.

Alena_Ryu August 14, 2010 at 10:11 pm

*nods* Ok…..here goes.

Um…hi. I tend to go by Ryu on the internet, Alena when when my avatar is female. (Which is more often then my brother declares as normal.) I’m an ADD, oddly feminine, heterosexual, Christian male, who still manages to believe in magic.

I found out about this group through Kalastina’s journal on Devientart. And since then, have read the manifesto. It left me with mixed feelings, so now I’m trying to get to know the people here, before I decide weiather or not to join the Revolution.

So…..care to tell me a bit about yourselves?

Pace August 15, 2010 at 9:10 am

Sure thing.

I’m Pace. I’m an idealistic spiritual entrepreneur. I’m a bi poly trans kinky pagan gamer geek. I was born male and transitioned to female in 2003-2004. I met Kyeli in 2005 (or so), we fell in love, and had an illegal Texas wedding. I believe that the best way to make the world a better place is to take part in a paradigm shift of ideas, because most other plans will only address the symptoms, not the underlying causes. So Kyeli and I founded the Freak Revolution, to empower people like us to change the world.

As for Kyeli, she’s currently recovering from surgery and can’t sit up for more than 10 minutes at a time, and I don’t want to put words in her mouth, so you might want to read what she wrote about herself. (:

Alena_Ryu August 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Ouch….I’ve had my own surguries numerous times in the past. >_< Not fun. Well, aside from getting out of school. XD (I used to go to public school. Long story.)

I'm noticing alot of similarities between you, me, and Kyeli. Particularly in the belief in magic.

………..

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm transexual or not….there's alot of things to consider…..but my particular problem comes with figuring out wieather I should truly be female, or if its just my fetish talking…..

Pace August 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Here is some more about Kyeli’s and my spiritual beliefs, if you’re interested.

And as for knowing whether you’re transsexual or not, the way I figured it out was to experiment in a safe way. I asked one group of my online friends to treat me as female, and I saw how that felt. It felt good and… right, so I asked a group of my IRL friends to treat me as female. It felt even more good and right for me. So eventually I transitioned publicly. If you could find a way to experiment in a safe and non-fetish-related context, maybe that would give you more information about what’s best for you?

Alena_Ryu August 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Nya….thats gonna be awkward to bring up….The online thing should be pretty easy to pull off though. I’d just have to introduce the concept a bit more…

Ok, plan achieved. I need to slowly introduce the concept….talk about it….probably with Cas……*ish planning out loud at this point*

Publicly this’ll be a much bigger issue. I can honestly think of no rl friends who would even be remotely accepting of such an issue. Especially not my brother or mother. Mom’s paranoid about every strange thing out there, while my brother is the most judgemental person on the planet……

My Dad might understand, but I’d have to wait a year. As is, I only get a month with him each year. And if I tried moving in with him, it’d break my mother emotionally. Seriously……I can’t do that to her……

*smiles* Thanks Pace. ^^ And I wish Keyli well!

Pace August 16, 2010 at 8:49 am

I wish you well too!

Alena_Ryu August 20, 2010 at 12:45 am

Allright…..I just had a very insperational pep talk from the oddest of places: My brother.

How do I sign up?

Pace August 20, 2010 at 7:32 am
Alena_Ryu August 21, 2010 at 1:16 am

Oh *bleep*. >_< I'm 17. Sorry….don't wanna get ya'll arrested. Or something along those lines.

Pace August 21, 2010 at 10:43 am

Yeah, I hate that rule. ): You could sign up for our newsletter if you like, though.

Alena_Ryu August 21, 2010 at 11:25 pm

What exactly does the newsletter talk about?

Pace August 22, 2010 at 11:54 am

It’s a mix of news (about our projects and sometimes people in our community) and tips on changing the world, being awesome, and that sort of thing. Not too different from the blog.

Jewell Gier October 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?

Pace October 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

Welcome back, Jewell! We post new blog posts every Tuesday and Thursday. Occasionally other days if we get really excited about something. (:

Ani December 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Thank you guys for this refreshing, empowering, and heartwarming statement! Just what I needed to read.

Pace December 26, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Yay! So happy it found you at the right time, Ani.

Mona June 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

I loved everything about everything in the Manifesto! It takes a whole lot of passion and dedication to do what you guys are doing… Thank you so very much for SHINING your light into our Universe !!! Much Love and Respect to the both of YOU and all that helped you. Beautiful Inspiration… <3

Renee Avard July 11, 2012 at 5:49 am

Am in absolute AWE that you guys are offering this and I cannot wait to dive in. I also shared the link, because so many people NEED this. I have not even spoken personally to you guys, YET, and I already feel very honored and happy to be in your presence.

~ Blessings and Love ~

Pamela August 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

This is such an important Manifesto – We need more of what you have to offer! Blessings, love and a huge “thank you!” for the difference you are making in the world.

Connection Revolution August 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thank you so much Pamela! Blessings and love to you as well :)